Butternut Squash, Pepper & Chickpea Curry


My adaption of an Asda recipe here.

Ingredients List

1tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped (I used a 2nd pepper)
400g Grower’s Selection Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Slices, large pieces halved
2tbsp Asda Balti Curry Paste (I only had the Madras Curry Paste, it was fine)
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (I used 2 cans)
400g can chopped tomatoes
400g can reduced-fat coconut milk (I only used one-third of the can)
1tsp sugar (no!)
1tbsp chopped coriander, to serve (optional)
Steamed rice or naan bread, to serve

1. Put the oil in a large nonstick pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, red pepper and butternut squash mixture and fry for 2-3 mins.
2. Add the balti paste and fry for 1 min, stirring until all the vegetables are well coated with the paste.
3. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk and sugar.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins, uncovered, until the sauce has reduced slightly and thickened, and the butternut squash and sweet potato are cooked through.
5. Stir in the chopped coriander, if using, and serve immediately with steamed rice or naan bread.

My adaptions:
1. I used almost double the curry paste because I had more ingredients, and wanted more flavour!
2. I used a whole butternut squash (and no sweet potato), and added a chopped green chilli, a 2nd pepper and a 2nd can of chickpeas.
3. I only used a couple of defrosted cubes of leftover coconut milk - a whole can would be way too much and make the dish too liquidy and insipid for our tastes, And NO sugar!

An idea for a slightly different dish is to replace the chickpea cans of cooked green or brown lentils - must try that some time.

Comments