'Healthy'/Thrifty Fruit and Banana Cake (no added egg/sugar/fat)



I set out to make this recipe for an easy 4-ingedient fruit cake but, having got almost everything ready, then saw we had no eggs (and it was raining hard outside)! Calamity.
 
Ok, so a 3-ingredient cake. Luckily my sis-in-law had told me recently about a 3-item cake she had made which turned out very well. It was a Todd’s Kitchen recipe (although she halved the ingredients and instead baked for 1hour and 10mins in a loaf tin. The tea cup used holds (almost) 250ml.)

Hmm.

I also re-visited a fatless & eggless 'Granny loaf' recipe I had made in the past and which had turned out well.

So I combined these ideas and this is what I did:

INGREDIENTS:
215g SR flour
400g jar of sweet mincemeat
tspn of mixed spice
I mashed banana
Big dash of fizzy ginger ale (about 2-3 tblspns)
2-3 tblspns of milk (happened to be semi-skimmed)
Flaked almonds (optional)

1. Beat ingredients all together and pop the mixture into a lined 20cm cake tin.
2. Sprinkle over some flaked almonds.
3. Put in oven on 170c (150c fan) for 45 mins, covering with foil half way through.
4. Dusted over some icing sugar. 
 
I think it turned out very well. 





Comments