Carrot & Coriander Soup in Slow Cooker



Still exploring what I can do in a slow cooker, I decided to try the carrot and coriander soup which the family enjoys. I've been making this soup very happily on the hob using this recipe but let's see if there's any advantage to making it a slow cooker....

Ingredients: 

- 2lbs Carrots, peeled and chopped
- Couple of onions, peeled and chopped
- some chopped ginger (optional)
- few tablespoons plain yoghurt (optional)
- Enough stock to cover plus an inch or so (I used leftover Xmas turkey stock, defrosted)
- Some bits I had hanging around in fridge: a potato, half a red pepper
- Ground and/or fresh coriander 
 
Method:
1. Turned slow cooker to High while I prepped ingredients.
2. Chop ingredients and put them in slow cooker with stock to cover.
3. If you check on it half way through, you can see if it needs some some more water. If you're not going to be around during cooking then put a little extra water in at the beginning.


Time:
9.30am: Ingredients in on High for about 3 hours.

Here's the thing - I didn't write down how long it took! It was about 3 hours. We had it for lunch.

It's done when the carrots are very soft. Just let it cool a few minutes and then go in with your hand-held blending stick. At this stage you can add more boiling water if needed. I then stirred in a few heaped tablespoons of plain yoghurt - this does make it taste yummy and piquant.

It turned out very tasty. I would recommend doing this when you want to come back from somewhere and just blend and eat!

One slight negative point is that the onions smell is very pervasive, so I would put the slow cooker on in the garage (!) and close the doors!

Here's my usual (non-slow cooker) Carrot & Coriander Soup recipe.

Comments