Fairy Cakes with Coffee Icing and Rolo surprise



Kids enjoyed these at teatime after school. I used my standard fairy cake recipe (Delia’s one here: 6oz SR flour; 4oz caster sugar; 4oz marg/butter; 2 eggs) to make little 12 cakes, with the following additions:

1. I substituted the 'jam surprise' with a Rolo (next time I might use two in each cake and leave them higher in the mixture because they sank a bit)




2. When cooked and cooled down, I topped with a coffee icing: - mix half a teaspoon of coffee granules with few drops of boiling water, then drip this into about 4 tablespoons of icing, then mix til smooth. Add few more drops water if needed but carefully, keep it quite thick to prevent it running too much.

3. I topped with a Peanut M&M, for an appealing, colourful look which makes them look more standardised (use extra icing to 'plaster' them on, once you've finished chasing them around!)






Comments