Fish in Italian Tomato Sauce



One of my 'Quick-got-nothing-in' and 'I've just got in all tired' but 'They need feeding' recipes.....

I’d been out with a friend all afternoon and hadn’t planned dinner. So this quick store cupboard/freezer meal was just the thing. 

Basically it's tinned potatoes, frozen fish and peas, cooked in a pasta sauce.

1.  Empty a jar of any pasta sauce (500g) into a deep-ish (preferably non-stick) frying pan on medium heat. I used a Sainsbury’s tomato & herb one (75p). I also, optionally, pimped it up with extra tomato puree, dried mixed herbs, black pepper, chili flakes, fresh basil.

2. Tip in a tin of baby potatoes (Sains 345g drained weight, 35p) (or some leftover cooked potatoes you've got hanging around).
 
3. Sink and nestle in 4 frozen (any) fish fillets till submerged. I used basa fish (Sains £2 for 4 small frozen fillets - next time I'll double up I think).  Put the lid on to cook for 10 minutes or so.  Keep the heat to a simmer.

4. If you want to keep this a 'one-pot' meal, also add in some frozen peas at the same time as the potatoes. Otherwise, once the fish is in, separately put some veg on to cook/steam. I steamed some broccoli and later added some leftover green beans to reheat.

5. You could just serve like this, but I tipped the tomatoey-fish in a heatproof large dish, topped with grated cheese and freshly-grated wholemeal breadcrumbs and popped this under a medium grill for 5-10 minutes.  Created a nice crispy texture contrast with the sloppy fish/tomato mixture.



I like finishing off under the grill/in the oven in the serving dish because, Kids, this gives you a chance to whip round quickly and tidying everything else away, leaving a clean kitchen and less work after eating - simples!




Comments