Carrot Cake



Nice recipe from one of Delia Smiths’s books (though not sure where the low fat bit comes in! Perhaps just using Quark instead of regular cream cheese...). I was looking for a reliable tray bake recipe. {Will try to post a better resolution photo of the recipe when I can!}


I had two gambles using this recipe:
1. I didn’t have ‘whole meal’ SF flour so used regular SF flour. Hoped it wouldn’t matter to the proportion of the other ingredients.
2. I used a 21cm square tin (different to the recipe). (I wish recipes would post the possible options for different sized tins - they all seem to use different sizes - perhaps promoting their own ranges...)

But I’m glad to say it all turn out very well. Although next  time I might increase the mixture by a third to get a deeper cake.



I didn’t do the cream cheese topping (saved on calories and having to keep it in the fridge) but just a simple glacĂ© icing made with orange juice.

Family said they enjoyed it very much (hurrah!) but one comment was that they couldn’t taste the carrot (I did half finely-grated and the other coarse) and another said that it was very orangey. But all good. 

It was also pretty sweet. Maybe reduce the sugar a bit? I served it with a tropical-ish fruit salad instead of calorific cream or custard (continuing to use up our Lewisham market haul from last Tuesday: slice oranges, William pears, persimmons, pineapple, blueberries)...




Comments