Victoria Sponge Cake in Slow Cooker



So, following my experiment with the Chocolate Cake in the slow cooker, I decided to try another one the very next day (without taking the lid off too early and sinking it!) again using a basic 2-egg sponge mixture.

Ingredients:
2 eggs and the following ingredients each weighing the same amount as the 2 eggs together (in my case it was 5oz):
- sifted self-raising flour - 5oz
- caster sugar -5oz
- margarine - 5oz
- small handful desiccated coconut
- one teaspoon baking powder.

1. Pre-heat pot on Low while prepping ingredients.
2. Beat together all ingredients.
3. Put 2 grease-proof cake liners into the pot.
4. Spoon the mixture carefully into the liner
5. Remember to turn the slow cooker to High now.

This time, in the great tea-towel debate (i.e. to cover or not to cover, under the lid), I covered half-way under the lid, so I could still see what was happening.


I cooked it on High for 1hr 20 mins and then Low for 15 mins (as it was darkening round the edge)

14.30 - went in on High
15.50 - turned down Low
16.05 - took out as edges going even darker.

Hooray, no sunken cake because I didn't lift the lid unlike the Choc Cake yesterday.

However, I must have a fast slow cooker because unfortunately, this time it was burnt round the edges!  Also, I realised afterwards that I had only used ONE cake liner instead of two, so this seems quite important.


But I managed to trim and 'dress' the cake and it actually tasted very nice indeed. When cooled, I carefully sliced it in half, sandwiched it with jam and topped it with more jam and sprinkles of coconut.

So next time, in my slow cooker perfect cake quest, I shall have to remember all my lessons learnt!




Comments