Pork Casserole in Slow Cooker

 

Inspired by this recipe here, made this tasty dish for the first time today. Really nice and the pork held without shredding/melting (as chicken joints do sometimes).

I put it in the pot:
at 14.30 on high,
at 16.00 I added peppers and cornflour paste and turned it low,
at 17.00 it was ready really but we had it about 18.30.
So in total: 1.5hrs high + 1 hr low = 3.2 hrs

Ingredients
    1 tbsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
    4 pork shoulder steaks (about 750g), cut into large chunks [I also used loins]
    1 onion chopped [used 2]
    1 leek [I didn't have]
    1 carrot chopped [used 3]
    [I added carton of sliced mushrooms]
    bundle of woody herbs (bouquet garni) [didn't have, only used dried mixed herbs]
    1 chicken stock cube
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    2 tsp cornflour
    1 tbsp honey
    [I added some paprika]

Method
1.    Heat your slow cooker. Drizzle the oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Season the pork [I dusted in plain flour], then add to the hot pan. [I sauteed the onions first, then added pork]. Cook until deep brown all over, then transfer to the slow cooker.

 2.  Add the onion and leeks to the frying pan and cook for a few mins, until they soften. [I added some paprika]. Add a splash of water and scrape any tasty bits from the bottom, then tip everything into the slow cooker. Add the carrot, herbs, stock cube, mustard and vinegar, season, then add enough water to just cover the ingredients. Stir, then set your slow cooker on low for 6-8 hrs, or high for 5-6 hrs.

3.   In a saucepan, mix the cornflour and honey with 1-2 tsp of liquid from the slow cooker, until you have a smooth paste. Add 100ml more liquid, bring to a simmer until thickened, then stir back into the casserole. [I just added the honey and flour paste directly to the pot, and one hour before serving].

I wondered about stirring in some cream at the end next time?

Serve with mash and firm green beans.




Comments