Honey Balsamic Chicken Breasts and Veggies



A one-pot prepare-ahead versatile low-fat meal (my favourite kind!), especially useful when you just run out of ideas for chicken breasts.

I was inspired by the recipe here, but adjusted it a lot to suit what I had in.

Here's what I did:

1. In a bowl I mixed:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Teaspoon mixed dried herbs
    Chili flakes, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

 2. Marinated 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the marinade above. I just left it 20 minutes or so but longer, even overnight, is recommended.


 3. In a lightly-oiled ovenproof dish (I used a non-stick pot), I threw in:
   some tinned potatoes
   fresh green beans
   broccoli florets

4. I sat the chicken breasts on top, and spooned over remaining marinade.

5. I cooked it with the lid on for about 20 mins at 180c, then took the lid off for the remaining half hour or so.  Just long enough to cook the chicken breasts. Surprisingly, the green beans and broccoli still had a lot of bite to them after all that time.

And voila, served with some gravy or mayonnaise, whichever appeals.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or made another way quickly after returning from son's early Sunday football match on 13 Jan (all of this can be pre-prepped ready for putting in a hot oven later):




Next time, could make this into 'Hunters' Chicken' (which my husband loves) by scattering with chopped bacon (maybe half way through) and later sprinkling on with grated cheese (5ish mins from the end). Could then serve with salad.


Comments