‘Chili-Con-Turkey’ with vegetables & rice



Inspired by this recipe, I adapted it to make ‘Chili-Con-Turkey’ with sweet potatoes and spinach on the hob (and without the lentils).

From the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup dry green lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • Cilantro and sour cream, optional
The recipe recommends in the slow cooker cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or on LOW for 4-6 hours, or until lentils are tender.

However, in my experience with my slow cooker, the green lentils would need much longer than the mince and therefore the meat would be overcooked and wrung-out before the lentils cooked ( maybe could use can of cooked green lentils though...).

Anyway it all turned out well on the hob and using my non-stick square casserole dish. 

Adaptions I made:
The flavourings seemed too low, so I added:
- double the cumin powder 
- some coriander powder
- some paprika
- a 2nd can of tomatoes (I had no purée!)
- some garlic powder 

To increase the veg and protein punch, I added:
- 2 cans kidney beans
- some cubed sweet potatoes 
- just 2 mins or so before served, I folded in a pile of chopped fresh spinach which soon wilted away. 

Served with white rice and garlic bread. It was delicious and much healthier (and cheaper) than the usual lamb mince. 
 

Comments